The Caprican was a daily periodical in existence by YR42, 58 years before the Fall of the Twelve Colonies. It ran news, entertainment, cultural, financial, and sports articles, as well as editorial columns and a section entitled "Playing the Field" (a reference to Pyramid), where readers could write in to the paper for advice on love, dating, and marriage.
News articles are color-coded with black headings, Sports with orange, Opinion with purple, Lifestyle with green, Entertainment with red, and Politics with blue.
The Caprican is available as an online companion to the events of Caprica, releasing stories that pertain to the plot both before and after episodes air, as well as giving background on culture seen in the series. It is available for viewing on the web as well as an App for Apple iPhone and iPod Touch. The blog appeared shortly before the series went on the air and the initial publishing run continued as late as a month after Season 1.0. The hiatus that followed ended just before Season 1.5 began, but the pause had been explained in-universe on July 27:
- ... the truth is that certain interests in the higher echelons of Caprica City society took some issue with a few of the things we'd published in the past few months. We won't go into the gory details, but we were unfortunately forced to cease and desist while the guys with the briefcases sorted things out ... We've received word that the red tape is beginning to clear, and so we'll be returning to action in the very near future ...
No articles have been published since the series was cancelled. The article titles, fictional dates and real-world dates of publication in 2010 are listed below. The fictional dates were calculated apparently by adding a variable number of days to the dates of publication. For example, the articles published between March 2 and April 30 use dates of YR42 which are three days later than the corresponding publication dates, so March 2 became Martius 5 and April 30 became Maius 3.
THIS WEEK IN THE CITY
- Vergis on Backtalk: How did he do?
- Will the C-Bucs eke out a win?
- More Dating and Love Advice from Playing the Field
- Sale on Graystone computers at Emptor Electronics
- Ambrosia Distillery tasting this weekend.
- Art Treasures of Kobol Exhibit continues
- Eros Day events: Love is in the air
- Pyramid action continues at Atlas Arena
- GRYSTN (Graystone Industries)
- Last Trade: 18.00c
- Change: -00.42c
- VERGIS (VERGIS Corporation)
- Last Trade: 45.55c
- Change: -01.00c