|Part of the series on|
Timelines of the Battlestar Galactica series
The timeline below chronicles the events depicted in the Original Series, as well as the events that occurred in the various separate continuity sources.
The timeline is given in yahrens, the Colonial term for "years." The date around which the timeline revolves is 7322, the only date given in the series, and one from the Colonial calendar. This was the yahren when the Cylons attacked Umbra on Caprica, as mentioned in "The Man with Nine Lives."
Dynamite Entertainment comics
- Before 6348:
- 6348: Commencement of hostilities between the Colonials and the Cylon Empire.
- ~7300: Approximate yahren of Baltar's birth (Battlestar Galactica Annual 2014).
- ~7314: Approximate yahren of Starbuck's birth (Battlestar Galactica: Starbuck #1).
- 7321—7322: Abel and Baltar reclaim Cygnus and construct Baltar's tylium empire (Battlestar Galactica Annual 2014).
- 7322: Attack on Umbra (Battlestar Galactica: Starbuck #1)
- 7331 — 7332
- Cygnus formally recognized under the aegis of Picon (Battlestar Galactica Annual 2014).
- Sire Damaris offers a lucrative tylium expeditionary contract with Baltar's firm (Battlestar Galactica Annual 2014).
- Abel discovers Carillon for Baltar, who subsequently kills him and recruits the Ovions to mine the tylium for himself (Battlestar Galactica Annual 2014).
- Colonel Adama and Lieutenant Apollo serve aboard Galactica (Battlestar Galactica: Starbuck #1 & #2).
- Per Battlestar Galactica: Starbuck #1:
- Between 7336 to 7346:
- Jolly promoted to Flight Sergeant.
- Events of Battlestar Galactica: Starbuck #2.
- Events of Battlestar Galactica: Starbuck #3.
- Events of Battlestar Galactica: Starbuck #4.
- The destruction of the Twelve Colonies of Man at the Battle of Cimtar, ending the conflict in the Cylon Empire's favor.
- Cygnus seized by Cylons (Battlestar Galactica Annual 2014).
- Baltar betrayed by the Imperious Leader, executed, and turned into a cybernetic construct without his knowledge (Battlestar Galactica Annual 2014).
- Events of Classic Battlestar Galactica Vol. 1, including the evacuation from Maytoria "weeks" after the events of the Original Series' "Saga of a Star World".
- Loss of Taurella from the Fleet when it fell behind (Battlestar Galactica: Death of Apollo #1).
- Events of the Original Series (c.f. Timeline).
- After 7349:
- Events of Battlestar Galactica: Death of Apollo.
Maximum Press comics
In War of Eden 2, Rob Liefeld noted that Maximum Press follows the established canon of the Original Series, eschewing Galactica 1980. Therefore, the timeline of the Original Series' episodes is included here, interspersed with data from the comics. It is later noted in the timeline printed in Starbuck 1 admits to using the Encyclopedia Galactica reference.
The acronym "CY" is for the term "Colonial Yahren", which appears in the Maximum Press comics.
- Before 1: The Beings of Light intervene at the beginning of human development on the planet that would come to be known as Kobol. Adama refers to these beings as the "Mother Race" (TOS: "War of the Gods, Part I").
- 1: The beginning of the Colonial calendar.
- ~1342: The beginning of recorded human history on Kobol; 6,000 yahrens before "Saga of a Star World".
- ~1342 to ~5432: The fall of Kobol and the Exodus of the Thirteen Tribes ("Saga of a Star World", "Lost Planet of the Gods, Part I").
- ~5432: The Twelve Colonies begin to re-establish their space travel capabilities. At this time, the Colonials were using sublight craft reminiscent of the early space vehicles launched from Earth in the 1960s and 70s (TOS: "The Hand of God"). According to Adama, "It took them hundreds of yahrens to revive even the most primitive crafts" (Lost Planet of the Gods, Part II, telemovie only).
- ~6342: The Cylons, a humanoid race, are taken over by their robot slaves. A machine ruler, known as the Imperious Leader, comes to rule the Cylon Empire (TOS: "War of the Gods, Part II").
History of the Colonial and Cylon conflict
- ~6342: The Cylons attack the Hasari, whose territory neighbors the Colonies. The Colonials intervene in the conflict between the Cylons and the Hasari, and the Thousand-Yahren War begins between the Colonies and the Cylon Empire (TOS: "Saga of a Star World").
- ~6842: Battlestar Galactica is launched. Back then, the celestial chambers on Galactica were used to confirm navigational headings (500 yahrens before "The Hand of God").
- Before 7242: Adama is born (TOS: "Lost Planet of the Gods, Part I").
- ~7309: Apollo is born on Caprica to Adama and Ila. Starbuck is born on Caprica, the son of Chameleon.
- ~7312: In 7362, Commander Cain tells his grandson that he's been fighting Cylons for 50 yahren; Cain presumably is an active member of the Colonial Fleet by this yahren (The Enemy Within 1).
- 7322: The epoch of this timeline. After one of the first Cylon attacks on Caprica, the people of the farm village of Umbra are scattered. Chameleon is separated from Starbuck, who is later found alone at the edge of the Thorn forest and is presumed orphaned at 7 years (The Man with Nine Lives).
- ~7335: Boxey is born to Serina in the Colonies.
- 7340: The Fifth Fleet engages the Cylons at the Battle of Molecay. Battlestar Pegasus is the only Colonial vessel to survive. Commander Cain, realizing there will be Cylons lying in wait along the entire route back to the Colonies, orders Pegasus out into deep space 2 yahrens before "The Living Legend, Part I".
- ~7342: Pegasus heads out into deep space, eventually winding up in the Delphian Empire, which is in the process of falling to the Cylons (TOS: "The Living Legend, Part I").
The Seventh Millennium of Time (7342—62 CY)
- 7342: Destruction of the Colonies, just before the 7th millennium of recorded time, and the end of the Thousand Yahren War (TOS: "Saga of a Star World").
- Saga of a Star World
- Lost Planet of the Gods, Part I
- Lost Planet of the Gods, Part II
- The Lost Warrior
- The Long Patrol
- The Gun on Ice Planet Zero, Part I
- The Gun on Ice Planet Zero, Part II
- The Magnificent Warriors
- The Young Lords
- The Living Legend, Part I
- The Living Legend, Part II
- Fire in Space
- War of the Gods, Part I
- War of the Gods, Part II
- The Man with Nine Lives
- Murder on the Rising Star
- Greetings from Earth
- Baltar's Escape
- Experiment in Terra
- The events of the Starbuck series take place after this episode.
- Take the Celestra
- The Hand of God
- Sometime during 7342, the events of The Rebirth of Cy, Part 1 take place. Starbuck is captured and Cy begins to "malfunction".
- 7344: Apollo and Sheba have a son, Cain (War of Eden 1). Appears to have resigned commission by this time, which occurs after they are sealed (The Enemy Within 1).
- 7347: Adama succumbs to Kaitai Syndrome. Command of Galactica and her Fleet is given to Apollo, who has been contacted by the Seraph named John and given the temporal overdrive technology to facilitate their journey to Earth thousand-fold (War of Eden 1). Adama is put into stasis, per his final order (War of Eden 2).
- 7357: Wilker paralyzed in a Cylon attack, pursues research into transferring a human consciousness into positronic brains, which succeeds (The Enemy Within 3).
- 7362 (T-minus ~3 sectons): "A few sectons" before the jump to Earth, Starbuck modifies his reverse boosters, that allow him to evade two pursuing Cylons (War of Eden 1).
Discovery of Earth (7362—? CY)
- Zero Hour: 0—36 centons: Commander Apollo and all 162 vessels in the Fleet make the final jump to Earth, finding the planet devoid of human life. Apollo orders all Viper squadrons to scan the planet for signs of the Thirteenth Tribe (War of Eden 1).
- 6 centaurs, 36 centons: Lieutenant Box, Captain Starbuck and Colonel Boomer detect a low intensity energy probe from Central Africa that locks on their ships.
- 6 centaurs, 56 centons—to 7 centaurs:
- After obtaining permission to land, Box, Boomer and Starbuck discover the Earth is inhabited by dinosaurs, with the exception of an odd pyramid possibly from Kobol. Box is nearly killed by the dinosaur, which itself is killed (War of Eden 1—2).
- Count Iblis appears to Baltar, offering him the way to Earth in order to fight a great battle there; this battle he calls the "War of Eden" (War of Eden 1—2).
- Sometime later: Adama extracted from status (War of Eden 2), only to die at Baltar's hands later (War of Eden 4).
- 6 sectons:
- Discovery of a Kobolian craft on course for Earth.
- 6 sectons, 34 centons: Cain reports this to Apollo, who sends out a boarding party that recovers Ares, a Cylon android apparently in suspended animation. Later, after awakening, he claims to be a member of the Thirteenth Tribe (The Enemy Within 1).
- Despite Starbuck claiming "it's been fifteen yahrens," this is an exaggeration; it has been 13 yahrens.
- This information is based on the ages of Richard Hatch and Dirk Benedict at the time of filming, which was 33.
- This information is based on Noah Hathaway's age at the time of filming, which was seven.