Twelve Colonies of Man (alternate)
The books and comics based on the Original Series have been able to develop the Twelve Colonies where the television series was unable to. Those developments, while not part of the official canon, are noted here in the separate continuity.
In the Berkley novelizations, the Twelve Colonies and their citizens are named:
- Aeriana / Aeries
- Aquarus / Aquarian
- Caprica / Caprican
- Gemini / Gemon
- (Unknown) / Leos
- (Unknown) / Libran
- Piscera / Picon
- Sagitara / Sagitarian
- Scorpia / Scorpios
- Virgon / Virgo
Aeriana / Aeries
Unicorns were believed to have existed there. A waiter on Carillon offers Starbuck and Boomer an Aquarian dessert.
Adama recalls that Zac was drunk on unusually potent Libran wine (Battlestar Galactica TOS pilot novelization).
Councillor Lobe was identified as the representative from Piscera (Battlestar Galactica TOS pilot novelization).
More than two decades before the Battle of Cimtar, Adar runs for a minor political office on this colony, eventually leading to his career as president of the Quorum of Twelve (Battlestar Galactica TOS pilot novelization).
Apollo notes that Scorpia natives have "funny feelings" (Battlestar Galactica TOS pilot novelization). President Anton hails from Scorpia. The children on Antila had ancestors from Scorpia.
Unicorns were believed to have existed on Virgon.
The following colonies are mentioned in the comics:
- Aeriana, home to the Aeries (Annihilation!)
- Caprica, the home colony of Commander Adama (Annihilation!)
- Gemini, home to the Gemons (Annihilation!)
- The language of the Gemini is named Gemonesse, and also serves as an alternate name for those hailing from Gemini (Exodus!).
- Sagitaria, home to the Sagitarons (Deathtrap!)
- Tauron, home to the Taurons (Deathtrap!)
- It is not certain what the singular form of "Aeries" is.
- In Chapter 1 of the "Saga of a Star World" novelization, Zac is noted as being 23 years old at the beginning of the story, before the ambush at Cimtar. Later, in one of Adama's journals (p. 121) during Adar's visit to Adama and Ila's home, Apollo is 2 years old and does not have siblings at that time.).