- "BSG" is an abbreviation for "battlestar group" and is also an abbreviation for the television series,
Battlestar Galactica. See Battlestar Galactica for links to the series, the ships, and other general information about the series.
A battlestar group is by basic definition a formation of Colonial military vessels consisting of a battlestar and its accompanying support ships. These support ships may fulfill offensive and defensive combat roles (dedicated heavy gun ships, smaller carriers), as well as combat support roles (logistics, medical, repair facilities).
The concept of a battlestar group can also encompass several battlestar formations operating as a combined, coordinated combat package — permanently assigned, or assembled as a task force for a specific mission — under one commander, typically an admiral. This is a possibility given the number of available battlestars at the outbreak of hostilities with the Cylons.
- The above information is drawn from Ronald D. Moore's basis on a modern-day aircraft carrier battle group.
Known Battlestar Groups
The following battlestar groups are known to have existed before the Fall of the Twelve Colonies:
- BSG 39: Included the battlestar Triton (TRS: "33").
- BSG 41: Included the battlestar Valkyrie as of 6 BCH (TRS: "Hero").
- It is unknown if BSG 41 was formed during the First Cylon War or post-Armistice.
- BSG 54: Included the Orion class Battlestar Osiris, under Commander Ozar during the First Cylon War, circa 42 BCH (Blood and Chrome).
- BSG 62: Led by the Mercury class battlestar Pegasus, under Admiral Helena Cain.
- BSG 75: Led by Galactica, under Commander Silas Nash during the First Cylon War. This group is later commanded by William Adama circa 6 BCH, although at that time BSG 75 is known to be only a singular battleship.
- Following the Fall of the Twelve Colonies (1 ACH), Galactica was moved under Admiral Helena Cain's command in BSG 62 (TRS: "Pegasus"). Even after Cain's death, and Pegasus's destruction, some Viper gun cameras still listed Galactica as a member of battlestar group 62 (TRS: "Resurrection Ship, Part II", "Exodus, Part II", "He That Believeth In Me").
- The only on-screen mention of the term is the episode "Water", on a chart on the podium during the meeting about the water crisis.
- Although the term "battlestar group" implies the presence of multiple vessels, the designation appears to be retained when the battlestar is unaccompanied (such as Galactica), as it would be the centerpiece of any such formation.
- ↑ RDM blog post on January 20, 2005 (backup available on Archive.org) (in ). Retrieved on 2007-02-24.
- ↑ In "33", Crashdown is referred to as a "refugee from Triton" and wears the ship's patch, which shows the number of the battlestar group.
- ↑ This may be either an in-universe clerical error or a production error, seeing as "Razor" and "He That Believeth in Me" were produced during the production of Season 4. Thus, the template used by the art department to generate these recon photos may not have been updated to reflect the differences in BSG groups.