|Part of the series on|
Timelines of the Battlestar Galactica series
The timeline below chronicles the events depicted in the Original Series.
This timeline excludes the spin-off series Galactica 1980 and does not include any information from separate continuity works such as novels and comics. Nor does it include information from the inaccurate Encyclopedia Galactica reference released in 1979.
The timeline is given in yahrens, the Colonial term for "years." The date around which the timeline revolves is 7322, the only date given in the series, and one from the Colonial calendar. This was the yahren when the Cylons attacked Umbra on Caprica, as mentioned in "The Man with Nine Lives".
- Before 1: The Beings of Light intervene at the beginning of human development on the planet that would come to be known as Kobol. Adama refers to these beings as the "Mother Race" (TOS: "War of the Gods, Part I").
- 1: The beginning of the Colonial calendar.
- ~1348: The beginning of recorded human history on Kobol; 6,000 yahrens before "Saga of a Star World".
- ~1348 to ~5438: The fall of Kobol and the Exodus of the Thirteen Tribes ("Saga of a Star World", "Lost Planet of the Gods, Part I").
- ~5438: The Twelve Colonies begin to re-establish their space travel capabilities. At this time, the Colonials were using sublight craft reminiscent of the early space vehicles launched from Earth in the 1960s and 70s (TOS: "The Hand of God"). According to Adama, "It took them hundreds of yahrens to revive even the most primitive crafts" (Lost Planet of the Gods, Part II, telemovie only).
- ~6347: The Cylons, a humanoid race, are taken over by their robot slaves. A machine ruler, known as the Imperious Leader, comes to rule the Cylon Empire (TOS: "War of the Gods, Part II").
History of the Colonial and Cylon Conflict
- ~6348: The Cylons attack the Hasari, whose territory neighbors the Colonies. The Colonials intervene in the conflict between the Cylons and the Hasari, and the Thousand-Yahren War begins between the Colonies and the Cylon Empire (TOS: "Saga of a Star World").
- ~6648: Proteus in operation as a penal colony of the Twelve Colonies (TOS: "The Long Patrol").
- ~6848: Battlestar Galactica is launched. Back then, the celestial chambers on Galactica were used to confirm navigational headings (500 yahrens before "The Hand of God").
- Before 7248: Adama is born (TOS: "Lost Planet of the Gods, Part I").
- ~7315: Apollo is born on Caprica to Adama and Ila. Starbuck is born on Caprica, the son of Chameleon.
- 7322: The epoch of this timeline. After one of the first Cylon attacks on Caprica, the people of the farm village of Umbra are scattered. Chameleon is separated from Starbuck, who is later found alone at the edge of the Thorn forest and is presumed orphaned at 7 years (The Man with Nine Lives).
- ~7341: Boxey is born to Serina in the Colonies.
- 7346: The Fifth Fleet engages the Cylons at the Battle of Molecay. Battlestar Pegasus is the only Colonial vessel to survive. Commander Cain, realizing there will be Cylons lying in wait along the entire route back to the Colonies, orders Pegasus out into deep space 2 yahrens before "The Living Legend, Part I".
- ~7347: Pegasus heads out into deep space, eventually winding up in the Delphian Empire, which is in the process of falling to the Cylons (TOS: "The Living Legend, Part I").
The Seventh Millennium of Time
- 7348: Destruction of the Colonies, just before the 7th millennium of recorded time, and the end of the Thousand Yahren War (TOS: "Saga of a Star World").
7349 and later
- Main article: Timeline (1980)
The period between the Original Series and Galactica 1980, and the episodes and events of the Galactica 1980 happened in this period. Of course, as Battlestar Wiki treats 1980 as a divergent continuity, and thus a separate timeline page is available.