Filming locations (RDM)
All of the Battlestar Galactica series, from the original through Galactica 1980 to the Miniseries and beyond, have made use of location shooting to provide some of the background and scope for the storyline.
The Re-imagined Series is filmed in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada and most of the location shoots have been done within the Lower Mainland of British Columbia.
Miniseries Filming Locations
- Baltar's House
- Baltar's house on Caprica was filmed at a home on the Sea to Sky Highway, north of Horseshoe Bay, British Columbia, Canada.   Ronald Moore comments about filming at this location, and the noise of nearby construction in the podcast for "Resurrection Ship, Part I".
- Laura Roslin's Doctor's Office
- Laura Roslin's doctor's office, where she receives bad news, was filmed at 1540 West 2nd Avenue, Vancouver, British Columbia, a home which has been featured in Architectural Digest.
Judging from the staircases, Lee Adama's flashbacks in "Black Market" were also filmed there.
- Riverwalk Market, Caprica City
- This was shot at Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, British Columbia and can also be seen in "Epiphanies".
- The interior of the sublight Botanical Cruiser, that was left behind, was filmed at the Bloedel Conservatory, at Queen Elizabeth Park in Vancouver, BC. The east entrance to the park is from 33rd Avenue where it intersects with Ontario Street . (The shape of the Blodel Conservatory looks remarkably similar to the domes of the USS Valley Forge spaceship from Silent Running, images of which were used as the Agro Ship in the original series, which is the model upon which the Botanical Cruiser was later based. There are other examples of these kind of dome shaped greenhouses from the early 1970's, which may have inspired the original model design).
- The interior is an abandoned potash silo within the British Columbia railyards. It appears as a large Colonial ordnance storage depot. The location is also where Leoben Conoy is first encountered and where Aaron Doral is eventually stranded (TRS: "Miniseries, Night 2").
Regular Series Filming Locations
- Astral Queen interiors
- The interiors to the Astral Queen prison ship in the episode "Bastille Day" were shot at the Port Mann Power Station at 14300 117th Ave., Surrey, British Columbia, Canada.
- Cloud Nine interior
- The garden scenes on Cloud Nine in "Colonial Day" were shot in the rose garden of the University of British Columbia.
- The Quorum of Twelve meeting site was filmed at the Chan Centre, 6265 Crescent Road, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. This building also features prominently in the television series The 4400.
- Most of the outdoor and forest scenes in "Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part II" through "Fragged" and the "Home" two-parter were shot at Widgeon Slough near Port Coquitlam, BC. Widgeon Slough is located within Pinecone Burke Provincial Park .
- The opera house from Baltar's vision is Vancouver's Orpheum Theatre. It is located at the corner of Smithe at Seymour in the city's downtown .
- New Caprica City
- The tent city in "Lay Down Your Burdens, Part II" and beyond was constructed near Richmond, BC.
- Kara Thrace's apartment-cum-cell in the New Caprica Detention Center was shot in Vancouver's Waterfall Building. Coincidentally, this is the same room that had been Thrace's apartment in Delphi in "Valley of Darkness".
- The interiors of the building where the New Caprica Police graduated in were shot at the British Columbia Place Stadium.
- Various scenes on Caprica
- In "33", the forest that Karl Agathon runs through to draw the Cylons into his claymore trap was filmed in Lynne Valley Park in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
- In "Bastille Day", Vancouver's famous Public Library building can be seen.
- The University of British Columbia's Koerner Library appears briefly in "Colonial Day".
- The place where Helo and Sharon stay at the beginning of "Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part II" is near the Transportation Centre of Simon Fraser University.
- The exterior of the Delphi Museum is the university's West Mall Centre.
- Kara Thrace's Delphi apartment apartment was shot in Vancouver's Waterfall Building, in addition to the complex where Thrace was held by Leoben Conoy on New Caprica.
- Algae planet
- The outdoor sequences set on the Algae planet in "The Eye of Jupiter" were filmed in a barren area near the city of Kamloops, British Columbia . Specifically, some of the filming was done off of East Shuswap Road .
- The Temple of Five
The show's sets include Adama's quarters, an airlock, CIC, several multipurpose rooms, many hallways, Colonial One and the hangar deck. The Miniseries was shot in a larger studio, in which all sets were interconnected. That made it possible to follow Kara Thrace from the hallways to the hangar deck in the shot. With the beginning to the regular series, the production moved to another studio, which made it necessary to split some of the sets apart.
The Vancouver public library (TRS: "Bastille Day").
- ↑ Baltar's House on Flickr (backup available on Archive.org) (in ). (April 21, 2006).
- ↑ Frank Boosman's Blog - Baltar's House (backup available on Archive.org) (in ). (May 1, 2006).
- ↑ Bassom, David (2005). Adam "Adama" Newell Battlestar Galactica: The Official Companion. Titan Books. ISBN 1-84576-097-2, p. 30.
- ↑ Map of Queen Elizabeth Park (backup available on Archive.org) (in ).
- ↑ See: Sources:Bastille Day
- ↑ Pinecone Burke Provincial Park Information site (backup available on Archive.org) (in ).
- ↑ Vancouver's Orpheum Theatre information site (backup available on Archive.org) (in ).
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 Bassom, David (2007). Cath Trechman Battlestar Galactica: The Official Companion Season Three. Titan Books. ISBN 1-84576-478-1, p. 35.
- ↑ Bassom, David (2005). Adam "Adama" Newell Battlestar Galactica: The Official Companion. Titan Books. ISBN 1-84576-097-2, p. 47.
- ↑ Video Blog entry (backup available on Archive.org) (in ).
- ↑ bsgtns.com Forum post (backup available on Archive.org) (in ).
- ↑ Podcast:The Eye of Jupiter
- See also
- Filming locations (TOS)|Original Series filming locations
- Filming locations (1980)|"1980" filming locations