Welcome to Battlestar Wiki!
Battlestar Wiki is an encyclopedia on officially-licensed stories, aired episodes, and other products of the Battlestar universes. Make sure that your contributions fit Battlestar Wiki's purpose, avoiding what we aren't.
Our editing standards and conventions policies may differ from other wikis, especially in verb tense and voice, capitalization and the like. Please read this policy. We have an editing tutorial and wiki markup codes to help you.
Our policies on original research differ from places such as Wikipedia. We allow some research based on aired episode content, but don't allow speculation that isn't supported from episode events. Battlestar Wiki does not allow fan fiction articles.
Battlestar Wiki's many projects help improve our content. Are you an Original Series fan? Help out in the Original Series Article Project. Non-English versions of Battlestar Wiki also need contributors, and helpers for our podcast transcriptions are also welcome. New projects should be brought to our Think Tank, where we hash out large-scale ideas before implementing them.
Any questions about an article can be entered on the article's talk page. General questions about the wiki can be brought to the Quorum or the administrators' noticeboard. Please sign your posts on any talk page by simply entering four tildes (~~~~), which will be automatically replaced with your name and a time stamp.
Remember that talk pages are for questions about the article connected to that talk page, and aren't for long discussions about the show. To chat as much as you'd like about the show (or other topics), why not set up a free account on the Battlestar Forum bulletin board?
About the Think Tank
Welcome, Chroy! Battlestar Wiki has grown to be a massive place to keep organized, so it's easy for new contributors to be sidetracked in their excitement to add information themselves. I'm one of the administrators here and I'll try to guide you about your first items.
The Think Tank is designed for submitting changes related to the administrative aspects of the wiki. That is, the Tank is for submittting ideas related to our policies and guidelines that determine how we, among other things, categorize what and how we do things on the wiki. The Tank isn't typically for submitting a request to study concepts or questions introduced as a result of any Battlestar Galactica episode or other licensed work (like the comics or novels).
But, an exception might be made since we didn't initially say one couldn't do what you tried. :)
We'll likely not vote on the two "proposals" you've added, but myself and other contributors will do what we can to best answer the questions you proposed and see what we do with the items as a proposal, or redirect you to existing articles that support the answers to your thoughts. If we can't answer your question, it will likely be because Battlestar Wiki articles can use some level of speculation or deduction based on events in the aired episodes, but don't play "hard or fast" with anything that the shows don't support. (That's fan fiction, which the wiki doesn't host.) Keep an eye out (or make your own comments) on your two projects and their talk pages: Battlestar Wiki:Think Tank/Hybrid births and Battlestar Wiki:Think Tank/Research proposal for Cylon name. --Spencerian 02:51, 22 August 2007 (CDT)
- I am sorry I misunderstood what the Think Tank was..... I am curious about the show and didn't know how to properly address the origin of the Cylon name. I had no idea there was a series called Caprica in development hell.... sounds like a very interesting show.... I hope it gets off of the ground...... I have numerous theories I attempted to weed through them to avoid submitting something that might be considered fan fiction.... I love this site!! I refer to it as a Galactica Encyclopedia...... My intent for submitting the Cylon/Hybrid theory was to share and contribute to the encyclopedia as I have learned so much from it.... I thought perhaps that if the theory sounded interesting enough, someone might do research into it more and possibly include it...... I guess there is a fine line between speculation and fan fiction....perhaps they are the same thing..... I truly hope I haven't upset anyone with the way in which I submitted these questions and theories.... I would still like to contribute..... if someone could email me or something on the best way to submit my theories in the future I would still like to try that.--Chroy of Caprica 03:12, 22 August 2007 (CDT)
- Don't worry. It wasn't really wrong. Just unusual. The more normal way would have been to ask on an article's talk page without making it a semi-official proposal.
- It's really a fine line between deduction and all-out speculation and often a case-by-case decision. You'll also notice that some articles are more speculative that others (for example when it comes to science in the series). Your Cylon speculation idea is probably too out there, and more appropriate for a forum. There I can suggest the Battlestar Forum which is run by the same people as this place, but should not be used to make policies and decisions for the wiki. It's still very small though.
- The origin of the Cylon name is interesting and we do have some info on that. We could add it to one of the Cylon articles to make it more visible, but Cylons (RDM) is more of a portal than full fledged article. Maybe Cylon Centurion Model 0005 would be best, as those are the original Cylons. Cylon History would also work. --Serenity 04:01, 22 August 2007 (CDT)
- As you may or may not have noticed, above every article there is a "discussion" button that takes you to the discussion page for that article (also referred to as "talk page"). Talk pages are the place to discuss these kinds of things. In your case, you should take a look at Talk:Cylons (RDM) (for the origin of the name "Cylon"), Talk:Hera Agathon and Talk:Nicholas Tyrol (for your question about hybrids). Lastly, don't worry about not knowing too well how stuff works around here, we all started that way ;) --Catrope(Talk to me or e-mail me) 04:42, 22 August 2007 (CDT)