All of the Battlestar Galactica series, from the Original Series through Galactica 1980 to the Miniseries and beyond, have made use of location shooting to provide some of the background and scope for the storyline.
The classic Galactica bridge set and others were built at Universal Studios, and the Universal backlot was also used throughout the shooting of the series. The programs filmed from 1978 through 1980 conducted location shoots around Southern California, for the most part not far from Universal Studios in Studio City, California.
Original Series Filming Locations
- The sequence from "Saga of a Star World", set on the surface of Caprica, where Serina is caught up in the Cylon bombing of the Peace Conference was filmed in Long Beach, California at the City Hall and Library complex. Matte paintings were added to provide the city scape .
- For "Lost Planet of the Gods, Part II", some shots of the pyramids at Kobol were actually filmed at the site of the Great Temple at Karnak and the Pyramids of Giza, in Egypt . A small crew was sent to film the sequence and doubles were used to pose as Adama, Serina, Apollo and Boomer.
- Gamoray base
- Outside shots of the Gamoray base, shown in "The Living Legend, Part II", were filmed at night at the campus of the University of California at Northridge in Northridge, California, USA .
- The destroyed city on Paradeen seen in "Greetings from Earth" was filmed in Montréal, Quebec, Canada. The prefabricated buildings left over from Expo '67 fell apart in the harsh Canadian winters. The remains of the site were this sequence was filmed in 1979 made believable futuristic ruins.
- The landing site of Starbuck's Viper on Terra was filmed at the Vasquez Rocks in California.