Space Mutiny is a 1988 South African science fiction film of dubiously cult notability for not only its lampooned production value, amongst which includes the use of ten minutes of Original Series footage. In addition to this footage, the basic plot is similar to that of Galactica: a giant starship called the Southern Sun carries a large number of people on a trek through space hoping to colonize a new world.
In 2020, the one-off audio production Saga of a Fugitive Fleet makes use of this story as a basis to launch that four-part series with permission of Space Mutiny's writer, Maria Danté.
- Depictions of the spaceship Southern Sun are stock footage of Galactica itself.
- Southern Sun's ships are called Stingray Vipers, depicted via stock footage of Colonial Vipers.
- The opening minutes of the film depict a space battle with pirates, utilizing footage of Cylon Raiders.
- This movie was featured on Mystery Science Theater 3000 (MST3K) in November 1997, although a portion of Galactica stock footage was edited out for time.
- The team behind MST3K re-approached riffing the film in RiffTrax Live!, streaming it live on 14 June 2018 with a re-broadcast on 19 June 2018. It was released to on both digital and practical media on 10 August 2018.
- Space Mutiny article at Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
- Space Mutiny on Amazon Prime Video
- Mystery Science Theater 3000: Space Mutiny on Amazon Prime Video
- RiffTrax Live: Space Mutiny on Amazon Prime Video