Worst case... we hardcode the html. As long as the content is all in editable templates, I think it's reasonable to have some html in the portals. --Steelviper 11:27, 16 March 2006 (CST)
- Once article becomes Portal, it should work according to the IRC group. --Shane 16:28, 16 March 2006 (CST)
I hardcoded the html, then copied the html into a template. Should work the same, right? Apparently not. When I use the template (Template:Steelheader), it's broken like the boxheader. But if you do subst: in front, it works correctly. Something behaves differently when a template is being used. --Steelviper 12:52, 16 March 2006 (CST)
It shows a lot of promise. A couple of questions:
- Navigation. Is there going to be some sort of a navigation (not unlike the character template) to cut straight down into the characters people would most likely want to access?
- RDM content. Are we going to keep the portals RDM only? I kind of liked the idea of supporting all of the series with the portals, but the reality is that the TOS and 1980 gets a lot less traffic, and might be plenty served just by having portals of their own (the TOS and 1980 portals) rather than getting a share of the character portal. It looks like you're running out of real estate just with RDM stuff.
That's all I've got for now... --Steelviper 21:11, 16 March 2006 (CST)
- The way my werid mind works is like this....
- Navigation: will be right below each introduction. If it is a "General" Portal, which Characters are they be split into three groups. I think this will help the "Catagories Listings" but they won't link to catagoies. They link to Article pages that have a little bio about each group. them and then they could view the large bio if they clicked on a link. Since this is the "Characters" and not "Cylons" no Cylons would go here. Maybe I should just create it just as a better example.
- The "Series" Portals are about Actors, Crew, Guides to the Shows and about the show itself. It makes it so charaters and actors are not mixed up in the group.
--Shane 22:05, 16 March 2006 (CST)
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?
So, when I hit edit on the page, the template with Cally shows up like I had imagined... Why won't it show up like that outside the edit page? Is this a conflict between Wikicode and actual HTML? Or... what? --Day 04:11, 17 March 2006 (CST)
- Ah. I bet I know your issue. After you edit the Cally template, you have to save the Portal to force the template to be refreshed on the portal view. Sierra November (All frakked up.) --Steelviper 07:24, 17 March 2006 (CST)
- I know. It takes about 15 mintues for it to show up again without even needing to save the changes because we have to edit them serpatly. Once the Portal template code is working, there will be "edit" button and then stuff will change right away. --Shane 09:49, 17 March 2006 (CST)
- Is that a server-side purge, or does it just force a no-cache refresh of the user agent, Joe? Because I'd tried that and was confused. --Day 21:41, 18 March 2006 (CST)
So--Shane, I noticed that you put the widths of the two space-sharing columns to fifty percent. I strongly advocate putting some space. However, doing it with percentages is probably not the best solution. I had kinda tossed that in as a holder until I looked up my CSS terms. We want padding, not margin. However, since you'd changed it, I thought I'd bring it up for discussion. Before we get into too much CSSing, I need to ask Joe some questions about the CSS code, or... Well, which sheet is skin-specific. Just looking, I couldn't sort it. --Day (talk) 21:29, 19 March 2006 (CST)
- In fact, you know, now that I think on it... We could just call each box an ID and style them for position if we wanted to get real ambitious (so that different skins could position them differently, if we wanted). However, that might be too little Wikicode... not that the current method of positioning is Wikicode. --Day (talk) 21:35, 19 March 2006 (CST)
Avatars too small
What's the idea behind Photo Recon? Is it just cool pictures of characters or... what? I shifted the picture around because I thought it looked odd to have all that empty soace beside the pic of Cally, but now it still looks kind of odd. Thoughts? --Day (Talk - Admin) 00:01, 2 May 2006 (CDT)
- I was playing around with it a lot during the creation. It might seem redunet. We might just end up removing it and placing it on the RDM page instead. --Shane (T - C - E) 00:04, 2 May 2006 (CDT)