Battlestar Wiki talk:Think Tank/Image Naming Conventions
I agree that there should be some sort of convention. However, a few questions arise:
- How do we go about changing the names of the ones already on the server? Since images can't be renamed like articles, a "rename" would include deleting and reuploading the image -- thus losing all history information (i.e. who uploaded it, changed it, etc.)
- Do we even bother changing the names of images and content already uploaded?
As for conventions, here are some that come to mind:
- Episode Name - Description.jpg
- Episode Abbreviation - Description.jpg
- i.e. Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part I would have the abbreviation of KLGI.
In the case of images of one shot characters (for example), we could use the following naming convention:
- Character Name - ##.jpg
The # denotes a two digit number; we should need no more than that.
Or, if we only have one image, then a simpler convention could be used:
- Character Name.jpg
- I like the idea. The episode abbreviation matches with our shortcuts with policy pages (like BW:SAC). Makes it quick to know what pictures go with an episode at a glance, too. Central characters could have an abbrevation, too, instead of full name for brevity. For instance, WADAMA, LADAMA, ROSLIN.
- The renaming of the existing photos, given the purpose and objectives of Battlestar Wiki Media, is probably a good reason to strike up this project all in itself. Standardization is a very good idea. We got the Original Series fitted in, we can do this. More concise, easier to manage. --Spencerian 17:45, 22 October 2006 (CDT)
- I've been doing something like that with the pictures I've been uploading. Here is some examples of how I've done it:
- boomerraincoat_Colonialday.jpg (character, distinguishing element of pic, episode)
- 4267_HoG.jpg (Viper number, episode)
- The basic crux of the way I name them is subject, a space, episode name or abbreviation. Just my two cubits. --Talos 17:52, 22 October 2006 (CDT)
- We would be renaming all the files. I am working on a new extention for mediawiki, as part of the team now, that able to rename items under the Image namespace. I like Episode Abbrevations. But things like audio how you been doing is correct. An image from the broadcasts would be, EXOII NTBC Whatever.jpg. Episode always first then the type.
Episode Abb. Type Description.xxx
- People are bound to use inconsistant abbreviations, so I would advocate for episode numbers instead. --April Arcus 21:40, 13 November 2006 (CST)
- How do we determine between TOS and RDM material? Do we use the same format we use to disambig articles or go with something different? (I would prefer the former, but maybe someone has another idea.) -- Joe Beaudoin So say we all - Donate 21:51, 13 November 2006 (CST)
I think that if the image does not come from an episode, it should have _promo, _merch or _other affixed for promotional images, merchandise or other images respectiveley. -- Moo 16:15, 12 December 2006 (CST)