Battlestar Wiki:Think Tank/Links Discretion
- This is an archive of a proposal that was vetted through the Think Tank, a place where ideas of all kinds are proposed and worked upon by the community prior to implementation. There was no consensus on how to proceed regarding this proposal. It is therefore rendered inactive, until such a time where it can be revisited after a pre-determined period of time. Please do not modify this proposal.
I'm worried that over time, anyone who has a myspace page or minor one sheet website vaguely relating to Battlestar Galactica might try to add themselves to our Links section in the Community Portal. As many of you may remember, Spammers tried to add dozens of links to random sites from BattlestarWiki to get higher hit numbers: I see this as similar in a way; small fansites so tiny or inactive no one is using them, well I think BattlestarWiki is in a position to be taken advantage of. Therefore, I propose that we have a "cutoff point", that we will not simply list any and all websites that happen to have "BSG" scrawled in, say, but on a case by case basis review these links and decide whether they actually merit a link, by consensus.
The proposal should strive to answer some of the common questions, such as:
- What is the benefit of this proposal to the wiki? Small websites would not take advantage of us by posting links to practically unused sites here
- What is involved in implementing this idea? The idea is simply to estabish the principle that we *won't* list certain sites; implementation would be done by a case by case call for votes on the Community Portal Talk page.
- Who is going to do it? Everyone
- Why should we do it at all? We shouldn't allow minor one-page "fansites" that say one person designed, to piggyback onto BattlestarWiki and use as as their own personal ad agency.
- How will we use the idea? Voting on Fan Community Talk page, via simply majority.
- Should the proposal pass, when will work start on this idea? Right away
- Where will this idea be implemented? (e.g. Will it be on certain types of pages or the entire Wiki in general?) On our Fan Community and external links pages.
- The above is an archive of a proposal that was vetted through the Think Tank. Please do not modify or edit this archived proposal.