- See also the portal covering all other blogs.
This is the project page governing the use of the Battlestar Wiki Blog.
As outlined in the Think Tank proposal, the purpose of blog is to be an outlet for administrators and users to bring up topics pertaining to the wiki, including updates, new policies, new Think Tank proposals, projects, and other related topics. Through the blog people will be able to voice their opinions through another venue. Basically, this is for people who may not be comfortable in using the MediaWiki software or don't know how to use it, it's similar to a message board, except the subject of discussion can be more tightly controlled and focused.
Latest 6 blog posts
<rss number="6" hideheader="1">http://blog.battlestarwiki.org/?feed=rss</rss>
Specifically, the blog is meant to solicit feedback and is a central place for people to receive news and updates in regard to the Wiki. The following is to be covered on-blog:
- Any RFCs, RFAs, or Think Tank proposals.
- Updates on new or current wiki projects.
- Lists of new articles to the wikis; should probably be updated weekly only.
- Anything tagged for deletion on any wikis.
- Featured Article, Featured Picture, or other debates.
- Anything otherwise worthy of a site notice.
All Wiki-based policies apply, specifically Civility, Assume good faith, and Official Representation policies. On the "dark side", the policies for banning and blocking also apply when policies are breached beyond the effective ability for dispute resolution.
What the blog is
The blog is ...
- ... a centralized means of updating people on the ongoings of the Wiki.
- ... a means of communication and discussion.
- ... a gateway for integrating newcomers who are unfamiliar and, therefore, certainly uncomfortable with using the wiki's software frontend.
What the blog is not
The blog is not ...
- ... a means to create or implement policy.
- Corollary: All policies are to be vetted through the Think Tank process. Policies may be suggested on-blog, but must be dunked in the Tank for discussion and voting.
- ... a personal soapbox.
- ... to report Battlestar Galactica or related news. Although we do post news pertinent to BSG, Battlestar Wiki is, first and foremost, a reference and not a news source. Please do not confuse the two.
Both administrators and non-administrator level contributors may post to the blog; all administrators are automatically given blogging permissions as well upon direct request to Joe Beaudoin. (The assumption is that if they have admin duties on wiki, they can handle admin duties on blog as well. This does not work in the reverse, however.) Non-administrator level users must first go through a process called "Request for blog control". Essentially, this is similar to our Requests for Adminship process, but for the blog itself.
Of course, to do this, you need to create an account on the blog. Once you've created the blog on the account, give your name on the talk page for the project, if you are an administrator. If you are not an administrator, please go through the blog control request process.
- Full control
- Joe Beaudoin, blog administrator
- Mercifull, blog administrator
- Shane, blog administrator
- Spencerian, blog administrator
- Edit control
- Submit posts and edit their own
There is also a contributers level, which allows people to submit posts only. "Good" users become this status after they demonstrate that they don't break the blog rules. It's still up to authors and above to approve the posts. The default role is just called subscriber level.