|Created by||Simon Kiberg (script)|
|Theme music by|
|Production company||Universal, Bluegrass Films, Michael De Luca Productions|
|Number of seasons|
|Number of episodes||1 (list)|
|US first-run airdates|
|UK first-run airdates|
|Available at iTunes – [ Purchase]|
|@ BW Media|
A Battlestar Galactica Movie has been in development since 2009. Several writers and directors have been attached to the project through the years. In early 2022, producer/writer Simon Kinberg is looking for a director, is hoping for a late 2022 or early 2023 shooting, and is teasing a shared universe between his movie and Sam Esmail's new series for Peacock.
The movie has had a prolonged development process. Glen A. Larson entered negotiations with Universal Pictures to produce the movie in early 2009. Glen Larson had already tried to bring the franchise to the big screen in 1999 with a project called Battlestar Atlantis, but it was never made. Bryan Singer was signed on to direct the movie in August 2009. In October 2011, a script was to be written by John Orloff who said "I love BSG, and I would pass on the job rather than frak it up" and "I have wanted to write this movie since I was 12 years old, and built a Galactica model from scratch out of balsa wood, cardboard, old model parts and LEDs". In a video interview with IGN in August 2012, Bryan Singer said "I have a script and it's in revisions right now, and it's very cool" and also "it will exist, I think, quite well between the Glen Larson and the Ron Moore/David Eick universes". In April 2014, Jack Paglen was hired to write the film "as a complete reimagining of the story". The project that was still to be produced by Glen Larson, but it was likely delayed when Glen Larson passed away in November 2014.
In June 2016, Lisa Joy was hired to write the script, and it was announced that Scott Stuber and Dylan Clark were producing the film through Bluegrass Films alongside Michael De Luca through Michael De Luca Productions. Francis Lawrence was approached to direct the movie. In February 2018, Francis Lawrence confirmed that he was still working on the film with Lisa Joy, and that he was a fan of the original show when he was a kid: "The original series was actually one of the first sets that I ever went on. I remember being a kid and loving that show and they were filming near my house and my mom took me down there and I got to try on a Cylon helmet." When asked if there would be visual nods to the original series in his movie, Lawrence answered "Oh of course! There will definitely be visual nods. We’re all fans of both series so there will definitely be nods, but for it to be worth doing for us we have to have our own take on it. Without getting into too much detail, there is thematic kind of stuff to make it relevant today. What makes something interesting to do is if there’s a relevance to the world we live in now." In December 2018, Jay Basu was hired to rewrite Lisa Joy's script.
In October 2020, Simon Kinberg was announced to be producing and writing the movie. Kinberg said "Battlestar Galactica is one of the holy grails in science fiction, and I couldn’t be more excited about bringing something new to the franchise, while honoring what’s made it so iconic and enduring." At the time, it was also said that the movie was not connected to the series developed by Sam Esmail for NBCUniversal's Peacock streaming service. In a December 2021 podcast, Simon Kinberg said "Battlestar Galactica also, now we're talking to directors about that. That's a massive movie, and a massive amount of prep. So, you know, that might be six months, nine months of actual prep work before it gets shot. But that's another movie that could conceivably start prepping at the beginning of the year (2022), and be shooting at the end of the year." In a January 2022 interview, Kinberg added "In terms of the situation with Sam (Esmail) and the show, I can't say too much about it other than there is synergy between the two enterprises and constant communication between us. We've become close and been having a really good time together and there will be, for lack of a better phrase and it's an overused phrase, a shared universe." When asked wether his movie would have connections with the 2000's reimagined series, Kinberg stated "There are connections, but it is certainly not simply a continuation or a remake of Ron Moore's masterpiece."
- Borys Kit, 2009-02-20. Universal in talks for 'Battlestar' movie. Hollywood Reporter. Accessed 2016-06-18.
- Borys Kit. 2009-08-13. Bryan Singer to direct 'Battlestar' film. Hollywood Reporter. Accessed 2016-06-18.
- Mike Fleming, 2011-11-20. Bryan Singer's 'Battlestar Galactica' Gets Airborne With John Orloff Scripting Deal. Deadline. Accessed 2016-06-18.
- IGN staff. 2012-08-02. Battlestar Galactica - Bryan Singer's Battlestar Update. IGN. Accessed 2016-06-18.
- Dave McNary. 2014-04-07. 'Battlestar Galactica' Movie Gets New Life at Universal (EXCLUSIVE). Variety. Accessed 2016-06-18.
- Mike Barnes, 2014-11-15. Glen A. Larson, Creator of TV’s ‘Quincy M.E.,’ ‘Magnum, P.I.’ and ‘Battlestar Galactica,’ Dies at 77 Hollywood Reporter. Accessed 2022-01-08
- Mike Fleming Jr. 2016-06-09. 'Battlestar Galactica' Movie Sets 'Westworld's Lisa Joy To Write, Director Francis Lawrence Orbiting. Deadline. Accessed 2016-06-13.
- Georgina Terry, June 13, 2016. Battlestar Galactica reboot set for take-off with Westworld writer. Metro. Accessed 2016-06-13.
- Max Evry, 2018-02-23. Exclusive: Francis Lawrence Talks Battlestar Galactica Movie & More! ComingSoon. Accessed 2022-01-08
- Umberto Gonzalez, 2018-12-18. Jay Basu Tapped to Write ‘Battlestar Galactica’ for Universal (Exclusive). The Wrap. Accessed 2022-01-08
- Borys Kit, 2020-10-22. Simon Kinberg to Write, Produce ‘Battlestar Galactica’ Movie for Universal (Exclusive). The Hollywod Reporter. Accessed 2022-01-08.
- Adam B. Vary, 2020-10-22. ‘Battlestar Galactica’ Movie Lands Simon Kinberg as Writer, Producer. Variety. Accessed 2022-01-08
- Anthony D'Alessandro, 2021-12-16. Simon Kinberg Returns To Original Fare With ‘The 355’, ‘Invasion’ & More – Crew Call Podcast. Deadline. Accessed 2022-01-08
- Carly Lane, 2022-01-06. Exclusive: New 'Battlestar Galactica' Movie Will Exist In a "Shared Universe" With Sam Esmail's Upcoming TV Series, Says Simon Kinberg. Collider. Accessed 2022-01-08