|BSG Military Rankings||U.S. Navy Equivalent||U.S. Army / Air Force Equivalent||BSG Examples|
|Admiral||Fleet Admiral [O-11]||N/A||(Nagala (see Note #2))|
|Admiral||Admiral [O-10]||General (****)||Nagala (see Note #2)|
|Commander||Vice Admiral [O-9]||Lt. General (***)||(William Adama (see Note #3))|
|Commander||Rear Adm.(Up) [O-8]||Major General (**)||William Adama (see Note #3)|
|Unknown||Rear Adm.(Low) (O-7]||Brigadier General (*)|
|Colonel||Captain (O-6)||Colonel||Colonel Tigh (see Note #4)|
|Commander Air Group||Commander (O-5)||Lt. Colonel||Lee Adama (see Note #5)|
|Captain||Lt. Commander (O-4)||Major||(Lee Adama (see Note #5))|
|Lieutenant||Lieutenant (O-3)||Captain||Gaeta / Kara Thrace|
|Lieutenant (j.g.)||Lieutenant (j.g.) [O-2]||1st Lieutenant||Karl C. Agathon|
|Ensign||Ensign (O-1)||2nd Lieutenant||Davis|
|Petty Officer||Senior Chief Petty Officer [E-8]||Master Sergeant / Senior Master Sergeant||CPO Tyrol|
|Sergeant||Chief Petty Officer [E-7]||Sergeant (!st Class) / Master Sergeant||Sergeant Hadrian|
|Petty Officer 2nd||Petty Officer 1st Class (E-6)||Staff Sergeant / Technical Sergeant||Dualla|
|Specialist||Petty Officer 2nd Class [E-5]||Sergeant / Staff Sergeant||Unknown|
|Specialist||Petty Officer 3rd Class (E-4)||Corporal / Senior Airman||Cally (assumed)|
|Specialist||Seaman (E-3)||Private 1st Class / Airman 1st Class||Socinus (assumed)|
|Deckhand||Seaman Apprentice (E-2)||Private / Airman||Prosna (assumed)|
- This listing has been compiled using current FAS rank comparison charts for US military ranks, and contrasting these ranks with the specific roles performed by individuals within the new series.
- Admiral: It is assumed that Nagala's given rank of Admiral (Mini-Series) equates to that of Admiral in the US Navy. However, when he took personal command of the Colonial Fleet following the Cylon Attack (Mini-Series), it is assumed he adopted the (war time) role of Fleet Admiral.
- Commander: The rank of Commander is somwhat unclear, and may in fact cover several rank positions within the Colonial Fleet.
- Given Adama's apparent seniority (his ability to assume full command of the fleet on hearing of the death of Nagala) it could be argued has been equated to that of Vice-Admiral - thus making him senior enough to take over the role of Fleet Admiral without objection from other Battlestar commanders.
- However, given he is the commanding officer of a vessel, it could also be argued that Adama's rank equates to that of a U.S. Navy Captain.
- Equally, Adama's rank could easily equate to that of Rear Admiral on the grounds that he was potentially the commander of the 75th Battlestar Group (assuming the Galactica was the flag ship for BSG 75). For the purposes of this rank table, therefore, it is assumed that "Commander" encompasses both the flag and commanding officer roles, giving Adama an equivalent rank of Rear Admiral (upper).
- Colonel: The rank of Colonel is highly speculative. Colonel Tigh is referred to as Galactica's Executive Officer - which would nominally place him on a par with the US Navy rank of Commander or Captain (the latter being more likely, given the role of the Galactica as a capital ship). However, it might be argued the rank of Colonial Colonel might equate to that of a Rear Admiral (lower), alothugh this would severely limit the available range of ranks actually able to command Colonial warships.
- CAG & Captain: An Air Group Commander would normally be placed at an equivalent rank of Colonel, with a Squadron Leader normally slotting into both the Lt. Colonel and Major-equivalent roles in the US Army. However, it is assumed that as CAG is nominally a title rather than rank, the position would normally be filled by a pilot with a rank of Captain (as with Lee Adama), who is then awarded an equivalent seniority within that rank (thus giveing the CAG the seniority of a Lt. Colonel, while still retaining the rank of Captain).
- Enlisted Ranks: The enlisted ranks have been assigned on the basis of individual roles performed. For excample: Chief Tyrol's role equates to that of a Senior CPO (and borders that of a MAster CPO in some respects); while the role of the Master-at-Arms is generally awarded to a Chief Petty Officer (or possibly a Senior Chief Petty Officer), hence aligning Sergeant Hadrian with the rank of CPO.
--Colonial Archivist 06:40, 11 Feb 2005 (EST)