As can be seen clearly in Act of Contrition, Galactica's combat ability is as limited by her manpower as her mechanical resources. The following is a list of Galactica's current and former Viper pilots, Raptor pilots, and ECOs.
- Capt. Lee "Apollo" Adama - currently on parole after his mutiny in Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part II
- Cadet Brendan "Hot Dog" Constanza
- Cadet "Kat" Katraine
Others: As of the Mini-Series, Starbuck informs Cmdr. Adama that "there are 20 of us climbing the walls down in the Ready Room". This is excluding the 20 members of Ripper's wing already sortied, and Apollo, on escort detail, and probably doesn't include ECOs.
After the deaths of Flat Top, 12 other pilots, and the severe injury of 7 more (20 total), there were 11 pilots and ECOs present in the ready room including Apollo, Starbuck, Boomer and Crashdown.
8 nuggets were recruited, including Kat, Hot Dog and Chuckles.
In The Hand of God, a total of 19 vipers and 2 raptors are deployed. Starbuck is inactive at this time due to her knee injury. Presuming all 8 nuggets and the 10 uninjured pilots (minus Starbuck) were deployed, at least 5 of the 7 pilots injured in Act of Contrition must have regained flight status.
We know at least Boomer and Crashdown were flying a raptor. The means at most 9 of the 11 in the ready room scene in Act of Contrition were viper pilots, and Starbuck was off duty. Plus the eight nuggets, that makes sixteen pilots for nineteen vipers, meaning that of the seven injured pilots in Act of Contrition, at least three of the five who had recovered by this time were viper pilots.
at most 2 others - Injured Act of Contrition
- Lt. Kara "Starbuck" Thrace - Stranded on Caprica
- Lt. jg. Sharon "Boomer" Valerii - Jailed for treason
12 others - Dead Act of Contrition
- Capt. Jackson "Ripper" Spencer - KIA Mini-Series
- Lt. "Jolly" Anders - KIA Mini-Series
- 18 other Viper mk. VII pilots - KIA Mini-Series
- "Fireball" - KIA The Hand of God
- "Stepchild" - KIA The Hand of God
- Cadet "Chuckles" Perry - KIA The Hand of God
- "Flyboy" - KIA Valley of Darkness