Difference between revisions of "Insignia (RDM)"
(→Colonial Fleet patches: + duffel bag name patch)
(→Pilot wings: replace graphic with pictures of actual props)
|Line 50:||Line 50:|
=== Pilot wings ===
=== Pilot wings ===
[[Image:NBSG-.jpg|right|thumb|220px|Pilot qualification wings]]
Revision as of 19:25, 6 January 2009
This article covers the various insignia in the Re-imagined Series, from arm patches to emblems.
Patches and arm flashes
Colonial Fleet patches
Every crewmember wears a ship patch on the left shoulder of his or her uniform. It is a round patch depicting the Colonial seal in the middle, around which the ship's name together with its battlestar group are written. Galactica's crew patch is colored gold, with "Battlestar Galactica BSG 75" written around the seal in a very dark, almost black, blue. The Pegasus patch is blue with white lettering. Triton's patch is colored the same as Galactica's.
Both the Armistice Officer and Kendra Shaw wear the patch of the Ministry of Defense, which is labeled "Kobol HQ". This is a holdover from the earlier drafts of the Miniseries script, when everyone came from Kobol instead of the Twelve Colonies.
Flight suits also have a specialty patch on the right shoulder, which is either a Viper or Raptor emblem. Additionally, some flight suits feature a specialty patch over the left breast (such as one for the Vigilantes squadron as worn by Kara Thrace and Lee Adama), although this is typically obscured by the flight suit vest and rarely seen.
An alternate version of the Valkyrie patch with a golden, reflective back.
Velcro name patch of Sharon Valerii for her duffel bag.
Subsequent to this, other ship patches have appeared, including the Prison Transport Services patch on the crew and security officers on Astral Queen (Water), and the arm patch worn by Saul Tigh and William Adama on Sedulana (Scattered). Later, the civilian ship's captains, acting as judges at Gaius Baltar's trial, wear patches on their dress uniforms with their ship name and symbol. The patch on Doyle Franks's uniform identifies her as the captain of Prometheus, and Jules Tarney (to Franks's right) is from Pyxis ("Crossroads, Part I", "He That Believeth in Me"). It is unknown whether the symbols on the patches represent solely the ships or possibly the companies that owned them. Further, the symbol on the Prometheus patch is also present on the uniform buttons.
Patch worn on the jackets of the crew members and stewardesses of Colonial Heavy 798.
Patch of the Caprica City Police.
Duty uniform devices
- Junior Pilot — two chevrons on a golden diamond and small swept-back wings to the sides, and
- Senior Pilot — larger outstretched wings and an additional silver border on the upper edges of the diamond.
Senior pilot wings might be awarded for significant flight-hours or senior command qualification (e.g. capital ship).
- For information on the rank insignia, see Military Ranks (RDM)
Dress uniform devices
Dress uniforms are worn on formal occasions and are thus worn with additional adornments and insignia.
An elaborate ship's insignia is worn on the uniform flap over the right breast. It is a metal version of the shoulder patch. All other insignia are worn on a leather sash that runs diagonally across the uniform.
One pin is a variation of a Galactica insignia from the Original Series, with an additional star on top. These come in gold and silver. Like with the other devices, their function is unknown. They are likely medals awarded for distinguished service or valor.
Commander Adama in dress uniform (Water).
Dress uniform insignia of the honor guard in "Act of Contrition".
- Junior pilot.jpg
Junior pilot qualification wings.
The Adamas in dress uniform (Miniseries).
- Medal of Distinction and Medal of Valor; two medals awarded by the Colonial Fleet.
- Uniforms (RDM) for information on the uniforms of the Re-imagined Series.
- Military Ranks (RDM) for information on the rank insignia of the Re-imagined Series.
- Squadrons of Galactica for information on squadron insignia used in the Re-imagined Series.
- Insignia (TOS) for information on insignia used in the Original Series.
- A detailed analysis of Battlestar Galactica rank insignia and uniform devices by Jim Stevenson. The source of some of this article's images.
- A high resolution version of the device chart shown on the site above.
- The patch reads "BST" instead of "BSG". The costuming department very likely assumed that "BSG" stands for "Battlestar Galactica" and changed the last letter accordingly. However, "Water" and the patches for Pegasus and Valkyrie establish that the acronym stands for battlestar group.
- A costuming gaffe with this patch is apparent: it is affixed to Admiral Peter Corman's uniform in "Hero", although no closeups of this can be seen on screen, it is on the physical uniform for the character.