Battlestar Wiki:Translation Project
This project deals with converting articles from the Battlestar Wiki into other languages and how to accomplish that task.
- 1 Overview
- 2 How to Begin
- 3 Articles Needing Translation
- 4 Language Specific Spoiler Checkpoints
- 5 Contributors
- 6 Articles in Progress
- 7 Articles Translated
- 8 Templates Translated
Presently, all of the content on this wiki is in english — American english, to be specific. We have people who view this Wiki from other countries, as far away as Europe and Asia. And likely further.
Therefore, this is a formal effort to recruit mutli-lingual contributors and organize these contributors to translate our documents in other languages. Once there is enough translations of a pirticular translation, the Battlestar Wiki, as a group, will sit down and see if there is cause enough for a full language site with the "battlestarwiki.org" domain name.
Currently we have three sub-lanauage projects with there status.
- German Battlestar Wiki - Active
- Spanish Battlestar Wiki - Not Active
- Chinese Battlestar Wiki - Active
If you want to help out with any or all of these language wikis, please goto those sites. Keep in mind that you will have to refer to this Wiki for policy questions.
How to Begin
To begin, create a subpage of the article you wish to translate. For instance, let's say you were going to tackle the article on The Fleet and translate it into Spanish. Here's how you would begin:
- In the search box, type in:
- The Fleet/es:La Flota
- Press "Go". Select "create this article" option.
- Begin translating the article. Once done, list the article on this page under Articles Translated.
Once there are a growing number of articles, Joe or Shane will then set up an invidiual BSG Wiki for that language. (i.e. de.battlestarwiki.org for German BSG Wiki, et al.).
Articles Needing Translation
Obviously our eventual goal is to have just about everything translated. Rather than listing every page here, this can be used to request critical pages for translators to focus on.
These three should be the first ones done.
- Battlestar Wiki:Spoiler Policy - All languages.
- Battlestar Wiki:Standards and Conventions - All languages.
- Battlestar Wiki:Citation Jihad - All languages.
There are others to be translated as well that need to be translated before you can even get your own-wiki. Please take a look at the list here. If you can prove that you can deicated a full force of at least 5-10 people to translating all the required information, we will create a language wiki without question and import all your work to the languge wiki.
It is suggeted you start from the oldest episodes and articles first before you more to articles that always under going edits.
There are standards and conventions for translating. Please read this before doing anything.
Who is admin of these wikis during setup?
Joe and Shane will be the two overall admins (B-crats, Sysop, checkuser), but you would have to decided as a group who will represent your language.
Language Specific Spoiler Checkpoints
Feel free to adjust the title of this section. This section is intended to be a handy place to keep track of how far the series has progressed in the particular languages, in order to avoid translating spoiler content over from the English side. Only lanauges that are translating in conjuction with the English Wiki are listed here.
- Pegasus - 26 February, 2006.
Contributors to this project may be added here. Please include the languages you would be interested in translating our documents to, as well as your level of expertise in said language.
- Ivan 00:57, 12 February 2006 (GMT -3h) - Brazilian Portuguese, native language
- Infestans 18:43, 19 February 2006 (GMT -3h) - Brazilian Portuguese, native language
- SuperMMX - Chinese, Simplified Chinese, native language.
- Xmuxsp - Chinese, Simplified Chinese, native language
- Karoshi 11:22, 2 February 2006 (EST) - French, native language.
- Malcolm 10:29, 14 May 2006 (CDT) - French, native language.*
- Jibo 13:28, 27 September 2006 (GMT) - French, native language.*
- Astfgl 02:57, 04 February 2006 (CET) - German, native German
- Tirkon en Tirkon de: German:native (Deutsch: Muttersprache), English: good, French moderate (Français: moyen)
- $traight-$hoota – native German
- sdfd native German
- LaWa native German
- rawfire native German
- Starbuckster native German; living in the US since 1994
- Purple74 native Italian
- Zarek Rocks 21:23, 2 February 2006 (EST) Two years of Japanese, but a little rusty. I do have people that could help me edit for grammar though so I'm onboard for that.
- Yashiko 20:34, 7 March 2006 (CST) I'm currently in my first year as a Japanese language and Linguistics major at university, but I have lived in Japan for about a year. I'm willing to try and help out where I can since my grammar isn't back to the level it was when I was living there. I'll try to help out with vocabulary in the meanwhile.
- Starkiller 23:59, 30 August 2006 (CDT) Several years of learning Malay, but not good enough. I do have people that could help me edit for grammar though so I'm onboard for that.
- Major Payne 23:42, 03 February 2006 (GMT -3h) - Spanish, native language
- Lindem Herz 10:08, 06 February 2006 (GMT -5h) - Spanish, native language
- Prometheus 2:16, 13 February 2006 (EST) - Spanish, native language
- Kestrel 13:16, 16 February 2006 (GMT -3h) - Spanish, native language
- Dancing Salad 00:24, 24 February 2006 (GMT +1) - Spanish, native language
- turboemmis 17:48, 11 February 2006 (CET) - Swedish, native language
- MrPeachum 19:47, 11 February 2006 (GMT -8h, PST) - Swedish, native language
More than one non-American English language
- Steelviper 09:57, 27 January 2006 (EST) - Spanish, 4 years of Spanish and a year of Latin (a long time ago)
- Talos 20:46, 31 January 2006 (EST) -German, 3 years of German plus mother is a German major and a BSG fan. Can also help a little with Russian, and others.
- LeobenConoy 20:49 02 February 2006 (TST) - Spanish, 7 years plus foreign exchange to South America (Fluent, but a bit rusty); 2 years of Japanese (some conversational ability, minimal writing/reading ability)
- Airylli 11:54, 23 July 2006 (GMT +9) - Spanish, 3 years, a bit of French, Classical Greek (if that is at all helpful), and Korean in a pinch (fairly fluent in speech but not so much in reading/writing)
- Fang Aili 14:10, 20 September 2006 (CDT) - Some German, some Chinese. Not all that great in either.
- People who really don't translate anything, but will help in behind-the-scenes technical tasks. Or people who promote the effort. Things like that.
- Joe Beaudoin 23:00, 13 February 2006 (EST) -- will set up new wikis as the number of documents translated increases and other BTS tasks (the Wizard of Oz, as it were)
- Shane 10:48, 5 March 2006 (CST) -- IT Specialist
Articles in Progress
Articles that have begun the translation process. They could use more content translated or another eye to look at it (or both).
- 日本語 (Japanese)
- Brazilian Portuguese
- Bahasa Melayu (Malay)
List all articles that have been translated here. Also include the language that they were translated in.
- Français (French)
- 33/fr:33 minutes
- Boxey (RDM)/fr:Boxey (RDM)
- Battlestar Wiki:Standards and Conventions/fr:Battlestar Wiki:Normes et Conventions
- Armistice Officer/fr:Officier d'armistice
- Battlestar Wiki:Spoiler Policy/fr:Battlestar Wiki:Politique du Spoiler
- Armistice Station/fr:Station d'armistice
- Olympic Carrier/fr:Transporteur Olympique
- 日本語 (Japanese)
On English Battlestar Wiki
- Français (French)