From Battlestar Wiki, the free, open content Battlestar Galactica encyclopedia and episode guide
- The article discusses the Re-imagined Series character with the name Zak Adama. For information on his Original Series counterpart, see Zac.
Zak Adama was the youngest son of William and Carolanne Adama and brother of Lee Adama.
A young William Adama with his sons Zak and Lee (Miniseries
Adama endeavored to prove himself to his father by becoming a Viper pilot (Miniseries) . During his training, Adama became romantically involved with his flight instructor, Kara Thrace.
While Zak Adama questioned how he passed basic flight, he accepted it without further question when Thrace stated that she wouldn't have passed him if he didn't deserve it. He did not want any help from his father, and certainly not from Thrace.
In reality, Adama failed three critical maneuvers during the last part of the basic flight training and (according to Thrace) had "no feel for flying" (Miniseries). Thrace cared for Zak Adama so deeply, however, that she felt that she couldn't be the one to crush his dreams, and passed him despite of his lack of skill.
Adama and Thrace were romantically involved when he invited his brother, Lee Adama, to dinner at Thrace's apartment in Delphi to meet her. Thrace had already painted the mandala on her wall by that time (Daybreak, Part I).
Thrace and Adama were engaged to be married, but Adama was killed in an accident while flying two years prior to the Fall of the Twelve Colonies. Thrace first met Zak's father, then-Commander William Adama, in the aftermath of the accident. Zak's death became a wedge between his brother and father until Thrace confessed her responsibility in the matter prior to a mission of her own which lead the Adamas to risk much in finding the missing Thrace ("Act of Contrition", "You Can't Go Home Again").
Kara Thrace's photo with Zak (left), Lee (right) and herself (Middle) in the Miniseries.
- Zak Adama is first seen in a photograph in the Miniseries, where he is played by Clarke Hudson. His role was recast for the series.
- Unlike his Original Series counterpart, Zac, Zak Adama is deceased before the events of the Miniseries, while Zac (played by Rick Springfield) is the first human killed by the Cylons in the Original Series pilot, "Saga of a Star World"; the attack begins approximately ten minutes into that episode.
- Notably missing from the parallel existence of the Adama brothers in the Re-imagined Series and brothers Captain Apollo and Zac in the Original Series is the character of Athena, sibling of Apollo and Zac. The series creators determined that there wasn't a clear reason to recreate a parallel of Athena for the Re-imagined Series. As of Season 3, Athena has been taken on as the new callsign for Sharon Agathon.
- Zak Adama in the Re-imagined Series is an amalgamation of the Original Series siblings Zac and Athena, both being the children of Commander Adama and siblings of Apollo who hold an inferior military rank to Apollo. From Zac, Zak gets his name and gender. From Athena, Zak gets his status as a trainee pilot ("nugget") instructed by his/her romantic interest, Starbuck.