From Battlestar Wiki, the free, open content Battlestar Galactica encyclopedia and episode guide
|| This article needs to be expanded.|
Please improve this entry (Timeline (TOS)) in accordance to the guidelines on requests for expansion and in any notations on the article's talk page. Once the requested improvements have been completed, you may remove this notice.
The timeline below chronicles the events depicted in the Original Series.
This timeline excludes the spin-off series Galactica 1980 and does not include any information from separate continuity works such as novels and comics. Nor does it include information from the inaccurate Encyclopedia Galactica reference released in 1979.
The timeline is given in yahrens, the Colonial term for "years." The date around which the timeline revolves is 7322, the only date given in the series, and one from the Colonial calendar. This was the yahren when the Cylons attacked Umbra on Caprica, as mentioned in "The Man with Nine Lives".
- Before 1: The Beings of Light intervene at the beginning of human development on the planet that would come to be known as Kobol. Adama refers to these beings as the "Mother Race" (War of the Gods, Part I).
- 1: The beginning of the Colonial calendar.
- ~1348: The beginning of recorded human history on Kobol; 6,000 yahrens before "Saga of a Star World".
- ~1348 to ~5438: The fall of Kobol and the Exodus of the Thirteen Tribes ("Saga of a Star World", "Lost Planet of the Gods, Part I").
- ~5438: The Twelve Colonies begin to re-establish their space travel capabilities. At this time, the Colonials were using sublight craft reminiscent of the early space vehicles launched from Earth in the 1960s and 70s (The Hand of God). According to Adama, "It took them hundreds of yahrens to revive even the most primitive crafts" (Lost Planet of the Gods, Part II, telemovie only).
- ~6347: The Cylons, a humanoid race, are taken over by their robot slaves. A machine ruler, known as the Imperious Leader, comes to rule the Cylon Empire (War of the Gods, Part II).
History of the Colonial and Cylon confict
- ~6348: The Cylons attack the Hasari, whose territory neighbors the Colonies. The Colonials intervene in the conflict between the Cylons and the Hasari, and the Thousand-Yahren War begins between the Colonies and the Cylon Empire (Saga of a Star World).
- ~6848: Battlestar Galactica is launched. Back then, the celestial chambers on Galactica were used to confirm navigational headings (500 yahrens before "The Hand of God").
- Before 7248: Adama is born (Lost Planet of the Gods, Part I).
- ~7315: Apollo is born on Caprica to Adama and Ila. Starbuck is born on Caprica, the son of Chameleon.
- 7322: The epoch of this timeline. After one of the first Cylon attacks on Caprica, the people of the farm village of Umbra are scattered. Chameleon is separated from Starbuck, who is later found alone at the edge of the Thorn forest and is presumed orphaned at 7 years (The Man With Nine Lives).
- ~7341: Boxey is born to Serina in the Colonies.
- 7346: The Fifth Fleet engages the Cylons at the Battle of Molecay. Battlestar Pegasus is the only Colonial vessel to survive. Commander Cain, realizing there will be Cylons lying in wait along the entire route back to the Colonies, orders Pegasus out into deep space 2 yahrens before "The Living Legend, Part I".
- ~7347: Pegasus heads out into deep space, eventually winding up in the Delphian Empire, which is in the process of falling to the Cylons (The Living Legend, Part I).
The Seventh Millennium of Time
7349 - 7377
- The period between Battlestar Galactica (TOS) and Galactica 1980.
The Cylons, over this 30 year period, develop completely new technologies and evolve considerably - "beyond the wildest fears" of the Colonials, according to Dr. Zee. These new technologies include improved Cylon Raiders and the creation of humanoid Cylons.
Also, during this period, the Imperious Leader is apparently replaced, as his voice is considerably different by 3778.
Sometime prior to 7368, Captain Apollo dies.
- 7358: The last attack by the Cylons on the Colonial fleet until 7378. 
- 7368: Starbuck is stranded on a desolate planetoid, where he rebuilds the Centurion named Cyrus (nicknamed "Cy" by Starbuck). Some time later at this same location, Dr. Zee is born to the mysterious woman, Angela. 
- Lt. Boomer is promoted to Colonel.
- Boxey begins to go by the name "Troy" as he grows older.
7378 and later
- 7378 :The episodes and events of the Galactica 1980 are set during this period.
- ↑ This information is based on the ages of Richard Hatch and Dirk Benedict at the time of filming, which was 33.
- ↑ This information is based on Noah Hathaway's age at the time of filming, which was seven.
- ↑ The increased technological prowess of the Cylons is described in "The Super Scouts, Part I" and "The Night the Cylons Landed, Part I".
- ↑ When the Imperious Leader is shown in "Space Croppers", he is no longer voiced by Patrick Macnee, but instead by Dennis Haysbert.
- ↑ Troy refers to Apollo's death in "Galactica Discovers Earth, Part I". This apparently happens before the events depicted in "The Return of Starbuck" as Starbuck does not mention Apollo when relating to Boomer people he wishes to say goodbye to. In addition, Apollo's death is apparently a mystery to the Fleet, or so the script for the unfilmed episode "The Wheel of Fire" indicates.
- ↑ There has not been a Cylon attack in almost a generation prior to "The Super Scouts, Part I". A generation is typically denoted as 20 years.
- ↑ Events of the flashback sequence of "The Return of Starbuck". Dr. Zee is a pre-teen child, who appears to be roughly ten years of age. Reasoning backward, he was born c. 1970.
- ↑ By the time of "Galactica Discovers Earth, Part I" Boomer has assumed this rank, while he still held this rank in the flashback scenes in "The Return of Starbuck".
- ↑ Troy mentions this in "Galactica Discovers Earth, Part I", although Adama still refers to him as Boxey in a private conversation before being shown the invisibility field.