From Battlestar Wiki, the free, open content Battlestar Galactica encyclopedia and episode guide
|| This page is one of Battlestar Wiki's many projects.|
This page serves to coordinate discussion on a particular aspect of this Wiki. The formal recommendations of a project may be treated as policies.
The Reference Desk serves the same function as a library reference desk. Do you have a specific question (not pertaining the the Wiki itself) that you want answered by volunteers at Battlestar Wiki? Ask below!
Before asking a question, you may also want to see if one of these pages can better answer your question:
Note: This is not a help page for problems with Battlestar Wiki.
How to ask a question
- Please give questions a meaningful title so you'll be more likely to get a meaningful answer.
- Be specific and clarify your question, describing specifically what you'd like answered.
- Please sign your question by typing -- ~~~~ (that's two hyphens, a space and four tildes) at the end. This will stamp the date and time and your user ID on your posting. (You can also sign -- anon.)
- Please do not list your e-mail address, as questions aren't normally answered by e-mail. Also, be aware that the content on Battlestar Wiki is extensively copied to many websites, and so making your e-mail address public here may make it very public throughout the Internet.
- Please check back for updates occasionally. A complete answer may be developed over a period of days.
- To continue a question, edit your question section (by clicking the  link on right side of its header line). Please do not start multiple sections about the same topic.
- Please remember that readers of all ages visit this page.
- Please avoid using all capital letters; not only do they make a question harder to read, but they are often interpreted as impolite or shouting.
- Questions will be answered by humans, not by a Cylon (or computer). This page is not a search engine.
How to answer a question
- Please be thorough, providing as much of the answer as you are able.
- Be concise, not terse. Please write in a clear and easily understood manner. Keep your answer within the scope of the question as stated.
- Link to articles on Battlestar Wiki, Wikipedia or a Wikipedia-like site which may have further information relevant to the question.
- The Reference desk is not a soapbox. If you wish to argue a particular viewpoint, please do so on an appropriate talk page.
Where is the fleet headed?
All the way back in Home, Part II several major characters finally figured out roughly where in space Earth was.
So, is The Fleet headed for Earth or not? Why doesn't Adama just start jumping away in the general direction of Earth? Not a straight line, of course, and slowly enough not to risk damaging FTL drives. But it seems so obvious that getting away from the Cylons should be a top priority. Yet episode after episode goes by without any word, even in passing, that The Fleet is headed towards Earth or anywhere else in particular. Why is that? It might be neat if the route to Earth took The Fleet back the way they came...
I understand this might not really be Reference desk material, but I'm having trouble finding a better place to ask. Also, this question is asked between the (first showing of the) episodes Sacrifice and The Captain's Hand, so may be answered later.
Personally, at the end of the entire series I'd have The Fleet finally reach Earth and discover ... Earth was where the Cylons spent the 40 years between the two wars. Who says we need a happy ending? --JohnH 17:42, 15 February 2006 (EST)
- Interesting idea, but the Colonials know where the Cylon homeworld is. --Redwall 18:29, 15 February 2006 (EST)
- A) Earth is far away from the Twelve Colonies, but apparently the Cylon homeworld is relatively nearby; the Colonials know where it is, etc.
- B) We saw a script read-through in David Eick's video blog for "The Captain's Hand" (which will air naught but two days from now), and in it Jamie Bamber (Apollo) is reading through dialog about them running searches and trying to triangulate stellar coordinates based based around the Lagoon Nebula, etc. Yes, this will be adressed in the very next episode. --The Merovingian 20:21, 15 February 2006 (EST)
- One of the plot points from Galactica 1980 was that the Fleet might find Earth only to discover Earth was woefully unprepared to handle the Cylons. Some of the same thought might be playing out here. The Colonials have no certain way to know Earth's technology level or military footing. Even if Earth is at a similar or more advanced technological level to the Colonies, simply waltzing into our solar system and saying, "Hi! We're your lost cousins and, oh, by the way, there's a ravening horde of synthetic people on our tails and they'll probably hate you just as much as they hate us, so...um...help?" probably wouldn't go over very well. I also don't recall anything being said (even after Earth stopped being just something Adama made up to give them all hope) about looking for Earth to help them out. They need to lose the Cylons first. That seems to be the priority (at least, up until Lay Down Your Burdens, Part II, where it looks like the stakes will be changing a bit).--Uncle Mikey 17:08, 9 March 2006 (CST)
Lay down your burdens
Can someone tell me what is the signification of "Lay down your burdens" in the context of this episode of Galactica?
Thank you very much,
- I believe this quote comes into play towards the end, when one of the characters (maybe Roslin's aide?) mentions how tempting the thought is of being able to "Lay down your burdens" and stop running from the Cylons by settling permanently at the habitable planet. (A quick Google shows that it's also apparently the title of an Amy Grant song, but hopefully that's just a coincidence.) --Steelviper 15:33, 9 March 2006 (CST)
- I know this is horribly late, but the phrase is also used in Biers's documentary in "Final Cut" --Serenity 16:21, 11 January 2007 (CST)
Battlestar Galactica Magazine Discontinued?
Hello, just wondering if you know why the Battlestar Galactica Magazine is being discontinued by Titan Magazines after just seven issues. I'm hoping that it's not be due to low readership or something and thought you might know why. It's got great articles and insights to the series and I love it just as much as I love this wiki site and the various blogs and other websites I visit daily for my BSG fix. Great job on this site by the way. Sorry, I'm rambling. Avidicus -- Avidicus 04:17, 26 October 2006 (CDT)
- Hi, Avidicus. I remember hearing of the magazine's cancellation. I don't know why it would be. However, I have some guesses. The first one is that, unlike shows like Stargate, Battlestar isn't a show that plays as much as a SF show than a drama. As a result, I suspect that the usual SF fans that buy the official magazines for other shows just aren't there in numbers. Also, the show is a mystery and little extra technical and pseudo-technical stuff is poured out. So there's not a lot more to talk about other than the characters without giving things away in the overall plot. --Spencerian 06:41, 26 October 2006 (CDT)
- Whats really annoying is that I emailed them about getting a copy of each edition as back issue and noone ever got back to me. I think they would have been useful to look at --Mercifull (Talk/Contribs) 18:51, 23 February 2007 (CST)
Want to pass info to someone that can update a wiki page
I'm not a techie person so won't even try to edit a page, but I wanted to pass along some information to someone that could update the reference section on the Karl Agathon page.
While reading the eBay auction description for Helo's dog tags, I figured out why he has the third serial number of 384162. This serial number, which was given to QMX for his replica tags, was not an accident. It came off of his original miniseries tags, when he was an expendable character in the miniseries and had yet to be named Karl Agathon.
Quote from eBay site: "Tag says J. Helo and serial number 384162"
Here's the link to the eBay site if you want to verify: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=180336718980