From Battlestar Wiki, the free, open content Battlestar Galactica encyclopedia and episode guide
(Redirected from BW:Shortcut
|| This page is one of Battlestar Wiki's many projects.|
This page serves to coordinate discussion on a particular aspect of this Wiki. The formal recommendations of a project may be treated as policies.
Shortcuts are an easy means of accessing (or linking) to pages within this wiki. They will often be a few (3 to 5) characters in length, and will redirect a user to an article.
Shortcuts are used only for often-referenced articles, or pages in the Battlestar Wiki: namespace. Shortcuts to the latter are listed here.
List of Shortcuts
Pages with Single Shortcuts
Pages with Multiple Shortcuts
- Battlestar Galactica (RDM)
- TNS: acronym for "The New Series"
- TRS: acronym from "The Reimagined Series"
- Those in the Battlestar Wiki namespace:
- BW:Shortcut: this page
- BW:SHORT: this page
Creating a new shortcut
To do your own shortcut:
- Type in the shortcut name in the search box. Hit "Go".
- On the search page, click the hyperlink: "create this page".
- As all you are doing is creating a redirect page, type the following on the edit page:
- #REDIRECT [[article name]]
- In the summary box, you should probably put in a reason for what you're doing.
- Example: created shortcut to article name
- Preview the changes. Make sure the hyperlink is yellow or a light shade of rose; not red. Remember that red links are "broken", because the article doesn't exist under that title.
- If everything is O.K., save the page.
Then, on the page the shortcut points to:
- Click "edit the page". On the first line of the article, simply insert:
- After inserting that line, you should press the Enter key, thus creating a carriage return. This makes the editing text much easier to read.
- Preview the page. Make any corrections as necessary.
- Once everything looks good, click "this is a minor edit".
- Enter in a reason to the summary field, i.e.:
- Save the page.
Once done, add the listing to this page (Battlestar Wiki:Shortcuts).
And that should be all there is to it.