Battlestar Wiki talk:Community Portal
New Zealand Broadcast Dates for Season Three
FINALLY starts today on C4, New Zealand's music & "youth" channel. the C4 website is also offering the 10-part webisodes that preceeded the third season. http://www.c4tv.co.nz/ Triton 23:57, 8 July 2008 (UTC)
What's the goal of the Community Portal page, eventually? What kind of things should go here? If I had any idea of how to help, I'd feel better about changing it to, well, something at all. --Day 00:49, 30 August 2005 (EDT)
- My thought was to have a list of links and references to other BSG resources and bulletin boards. -- Joe Beaudoin 09:48, 30 August 2005 (EDT)
- Ah. So not so much a portal to the community of this site, but a portal to the greater BSG community on the web. I see. --Day 11:47, 30 August 2005 (EDT)
- Or it can function as both our internal community as well as the "greater" community. :-) -- Joe Beaudoin 14:58, 30 August 2005 (EDT)
One purpose I suggest would deal with "action alerts." For example, the "Battlestar Pegasus" entry on Wikipedia has been proposed for deletion. Would it be appropriate to alert readers that they can go [here] to register their votes? Jtmichcock 07:20, 25 October 2005 (EDT)
I didn't know where else to post this, so i'll do it here.
Can we get a page like the wikipedia village pump? The village pump is simply an area where wikipedians (sorry, wiki-editors) can come to talk to each other about the wiki. It's where ideas can be presented and discussed, and questions can be asked. It's sort of a gathering point, from which groups can break off into dedicated projects, and etc.
I would like that just because i have a few questions and suggestions that i'd like to include interested people in, but i don't know where to talk about it. I checked the community portal, but it hasn't been made. I'd volunteer to create an initial page if i had a 'village pump' to link to. :P
As a final note, it can be called anything. "Village pump" en.wikipedia, "Beer parlour" en.wiktionary, "Le Bistro" fr.wikipedia. Probably for this site some clever name of a place that people meet on galactica... "flight deck" or... well i dunno, someone suggest a good idea!
Fudoreaper 07:10, 2 October 2005 (EDT)
- I vote for the Combat Information Center or something like that. Or Cloud 9. Something like that. I assume it'd use the Battlestar Wiki namespace or something, so as not to conflict with actual pages. --Day 15:28, 2 October 2005 (EDT)
- I vote Cloud 9. CIC sounds too official and serious. -- Danaucpe 17:37, October 2, 2005 (EDT)
- I'm not a Wikipedia editor, so I don't know what the Villiage Punp is normally used for, but I suggested the CIC because it's kind of the nerve center of Galactica. If it's the kind of place that would spin off Project Pages, then maybe it should be a bit serious. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, though. If its more casual and less planning, then I think Cloud 9 would be a great name. Just... thought I'd be more clear. --Day 19:18, 2 October 2005 (EDT)
- The village pump is for all kinds of questions/suggestions/talk. Its general-purpose, and no, not very formal. If a discussion starts on the village pump that becomes more formal, the discussion is moved (maybe to a project page or something). The reason i want something like this is so i can make suggestions. :P – Fudoreaper 22:51, 5 October 2005 (EDT)
- Check out the Battlestar Wiki:Wikipedian Quorum... -- Joe Beaudoin 23:17, 2 October 2005 (EDT)
- Aw, shucks. You've just thought of everything haven't ya, Joe? Wikipedian Quorum's a great name (full of authority and such) but how about allowing a vote (I know, I know) so that all involved feel a greater sense of ownership? --Watcher 01:27, 3 October 2005 (EDT)
Hi, I've been here a while scoping the place out, and I have a question before I begin editing heavily. :) How long after an episode has aired first-run can we make changes without riling the spoiler-free crowd? (Example: Changing appropriate pages to reflect Adama's changing rank) Joemc72 14:37, 18 January 2006 (EST)
- Please direct your attention to our Spoiler Policy. I think it's pretty clear. It's also linked from the main page, in case you don't want to keep coming here when you want to look at it. ;) --Day 15:33, 18 January 2006 (EST)
- I did notice it, and will abide by it. Please excuse my obvious buffoonery. :) Joemc72 15:39, 18 January 2006 (EST)
- No worries. There's not hard in pointing new folks to various of our important, non-article pages. Sometimes they're hard to find. I was just giving you a bit of a hard time. Welcome aboard. --Day 15:55, 18 January 2006 (EST)
Community Portal Content
Looking at Wikipedia for an example, their community portal has these sections:
- To do
- Active collaborations
- Ongoing projects
- About Wikipedia
It starts out with links to the village pump, but most of the page has to do with group projects. I like the Active collaborations section. It would be nice to have a way to focus attention on articles that need help. Cylons (RDM) (and TOS for that matter) would be a good candidate for something like that. Resources would be a good way to give the Standards and Conventions some more visibility (outside Spencerian's welcome message). We have several Ongoing projects that could use attention (other than their spot in the sidebar, I suppose). Anyhow, not all of these sections might be relevent to the BattleWiki, but I thought this might at least get the ball rolling on some ideas. --Steelviper 10:01, 31 January 2006 (EST)
- I would like to get the "Quality Article" idea started up as well... The Community Portal would be a good place to discuss which article needs to be worked on via a collaboration to achive a QA status. Anyone else have any other cool or wonderful ideas? -- Joe Beaudoin 10:54, 31 January 2006 (EST)
- I have some thoughts on the Quality Article thing, but not a lot of time to post until this weekend. Don't let me forget about it. --Peter Farago 11:42, 31 January 2006 (EST)
- Under the Official Cast & Crew Sites, perhaps add Tricia Helfer's site to the list? Northtwilight 08:36, 10 May 2006 (CDT)
- Feel free to add it to the links area of the community portal (just click the "edit" button under whichever section it belongs). --Steelviper 08:58, 10 May 2006 (CDT)
How to make a good Wikiportal
I found the following here:
"Most Wikiportals contain the following for readers:
- A featured article and/or picture
- Links into the main category for the topic and possibly subcategories (some portals actually appear in the description page for the main category)
- General info about the subject, or links thereto
- Links to other portals (using templates)
...and for editors:
- Links to related WikiProjects.
- Links to specific articles or tasks
- Collaboration of the week, month, etc.
You may want to embark on an effort to fill the related categories with appropriate articles if this has not been done already (or add it to the portal's "todo" list so visitors can help out)."
Just some more content ideas. (It mentions featured articles, which very much jives with Joe's suggestion above). --Steelviper 13:45, 31 January 2006 (EST)
I'm posting this here because I can't find any counterpart to Wikipedia:Bug reports. Recently, all pages on the wiki have had a large amount of visible debug text enclosed with <!-- --> at the bottom of them when viewed in K-Meleon while logged in. -- Gordon Ecker 05:29, 13 June 2008 (UTC)
Concerning: Battlestar Wiki at Netflix
This is a briefer on keeping site directives inline with canon. I have foreword that Netflix has API plugins for user groups and commercial sites seeking to use its servers to download or rent movies and episodes. Certainly this option is a valuable one and the implications are endless.
I will update this briefer to see if any positive feedback has been returned.
Good look out
Wobba Wobba, Muhha!
Habatchii 22:17, 27 May 2011 (EDT)